The Telecommunications Consumer Protections Code C628:2012 defines Financial Hardship as a situation where a customer is unable to discharge of the financial obligations in relation to our services but where the customer expects to be able to do so over time if payment arrangements are changed.
We encourage you to contact us if you experience any difficulties paying our services. Please contact us at any time by calling 08 8862 2134 if you would like to discuss any Financial Hardship matters with us.
When assessing your eligibility for Financial Hardship, we may ask you to provide certain documents such as
- A statutory declaration or official written communication from a person or support group that is familiar with your circumstances,
- Evidence that you consulted a recognised financial counsellor,
- A statement of your financial position.
We may not be able to make an assessment of your circumstances if you do not provide us with the requested information. We may use the information you provide as well as other information available to us. Once we have received all required information, we will let you know within 7 working days whether you are eligible for assistance under our Financial Hardship Policy.
If you are eligible, will work with you to come to an arrangement that allows you to pay your outstanding charges in a way that does not worsen your financial position. Where appropriate we will discuss means with you how to limit your spend (this may include barring some service features) during the time of our arrangement and thereafter.
Once we come to an agreement we will put this in writing via letter or email to you. You must inform us if your circumstances change (for better or for worse) during our arrangement.
We will not charge you for assessing your Financial Hardship circumstances or for administering the matter.
How RBE works with clients that are not longer able to meet their financial commitments
- While every effort is made to avoid customer arriving at a point where they are unable to manage financially RBE has several plans for those who are not.
- Clients may be shifted to a more affordable plan after discussion with the customer. Any new plans and their financial implications will be fully explained to clients to ensure that that understand new financial arrangements.
- Clients who are unable to find a plan that fits their financial situation will be given the option to cancel their connection.
- RBE attempts to avoid any debt recovery scenarios by offering clients an agreed on plan to catch up debt over a period of months. Management team consider each case and decide on the best plan for recovery.
- Management reserve the right to waive certain debts at their discretion.
- Only when reasonable avenues of debt recovery have been exhausted will RBE management pursue debt recovery using third party services.
All customers have three options to retain their connection:
- RBE Management may choose to waive certain debts
- RBE management may negotiate a plan for clients to repay their outstanding debts on a monthly plan
- RBE may permit exit their plan and to find a more affordable option from another supplier.
- Any combination of the above may be negotiated with management approval.
Finding a financial counsellor
You can talk to a phone financial counsellor from anywhere in Australia by ringing 1800 007 007
(minimum opening hours are 9.30 am – 4.30 pm Monday to Friday). This number will automatically switch through to the service in the State or Territory closest to you.
Alternatively, you can find the financial counselling service nearest to you by visiting